• September 23, 2017, 12:15:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Home of the Highwaymen.

Welcome to SIP!

Thank you for visiting The Spartan I Project! We want to welcome you to our group and invite you to join our friendly community.

You will need to register before participating on our community forum. This process is free, simple, and only requires a minimal amount of information. Once you do, you will be able to:

• Post in discussion threads and create new topics
  • Request help from our experienced achievement teams
  • Play games with other community members and make new friends
  • And more!
To learn more about what SIP is about and what we have to offer, click here. To register an account and post on our forums, click here.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Next

Author Topic: Halo 5: Guardians  (Read 16384 times)

Seth

• Colonel
  • Spamwise Gamgee
    • Sethinator23
    • Sethinator23
    • SefferTheHeifer
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 5
Re: Halo 5: Guardians
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 05:50:14 PM »

Why not just make AAs pickup items? The core of Halo has always been about starting even, and controlling power points of the map. Throw in pickup AAs with limited use. Three use armor lock on vehicle heavy maps. 15 second jetpack fuel on vertically focused maps..etc. Splitting the map between power weapons and AAs could be really interesting. Do you want to focus on controlling points with power weapons/power ups or areas with an AA? This way there can be more depth than just having power weapons, overshield, and camo.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:58:30 PM by Seth »

R MK XXV

• Spartan
    • R MK XXV
    • R MK XXV
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 3
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »

Actually, I liked the "random" power ordinance drop along with the personal ordinance drops as well. 

It made you change tactics depending on what dropped and who happen to pick it up.

FLiP DADDY 69

• Captain
  • Surviving the apocalypse since Nacht der Untoten
    • FLiP DADDY 69
    • FLiP DADDY 69
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 10:35:12 AM »

Halo 3 will always be my favorite game of all time. It was so exciting every time I played. I loved that everyone started even and if you did not get to the control point/power weapon first, you would have to fight back to take control. That was the challenge, that was the intensity from the start of each match.

I agree with Seth, make the AAs a pick up, adjust them accordingly. Jet pack is so OP'ed. Once way up, every shot is a head shot. Bumper Jumper players can not use Jet packs. Not balanced IMO. Random weapon drops are terrible. IMO you have to earn the weapon by either fighting the other team for it or through person ordinance. I thing personal ordinance is fair. You earned it.

I personally would like to see all the H3 pick ups in H5. I loved the bubble shield and energy drainer. It added to the strategy of the game. Put that with OS, Invis, or just as AA pick ups and I may have a game that will surpass H3 as my all time favorite.

P.S. Armor Lock - NO, just NO! Ridiculous......smh....

HellRazor1281

• Captain
  • Headshots and Hugs for everyone!
    • HellRazor1281
    • HellRazor1281
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 9
    • My band - Year of the Locust
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »

343 has pretty much been forced to do this because of the enormous drop off in overall online attendance from Halo 4.  So many experimental features were more of a detriment than a help (certain AAs, insta-spawns, random weapon drops, etc) overall. 

I am thrilled that they're going with a barebones approach to their Arena multiplayer.  Natural sprint notwithstanding (and a natural evolution of being a superpowered genetically enhanced war machine) and aside from perhaps Thruster Pack, all the other AAs were game breakers, especially from a competitive standpoint (which if you've known me for a minute in Halo you know how competitively minded I am).  If you were just playing to have fun that's another thing but it was still frustrating in many aspects of the game.  However, despite all that, you still had to have skill with the weaponry to be successful in any situation.  A smart and moderately skilled player could outsmart most other opponents who had otherwise game breaking abilities (although it's just SOOOO satisfying to snipe someone who's crouching in camo). 

Anyway, to me this is 343 finally listening to most of the legitimate complaints about how there were too many elements within the sandbox, and more importantly, keeping in mind how important a legit skill based VISIBLE ranking system is to the competitive nature of the game.  It's truly amazing how important that is, because in every game with an online MP, you will have the most hardcore gamers vying for the top rank.  I see it with FREE mobile games that offer in app purchases, where in order to make the top leaderboard tiers and spots you have to spend money hand over fist (or complete boatloads of offers for the in-game currency) and grind it out.  Now of course those games don't require any skill whatsoever in the sense that most console games require you to have to be the top dog, but the biggest downfall of Halo aside from the gameplay taking a dump, was the fact that the ppl at Bungie and 343 alike completely underestimated exactly that point, that ranks were extremely important to more people than they realized. 

I really hope this brings a ton of ppl back to Halo, because I think COD is really starting to get stale in many players' eyes, and Titanfall is not doing well (although admittedly this is pure conjecture from friends I have in the gaming world).  I can understand ppl still wanting AAs in a non-ranked or non-competitive aspect of the game, and I would support having a separate section for those players, but I also believe that too much separation of playlists and gametypes splinters the community at a time in which it needs to grow back together and regain the strength it had in the past.  Maybe if they decide to do a Firefight/Spartan Ops style of game again, they can keep most of those aspects there and stay true to the storyline.  But there definitely needs to be a balance between being Master Chief and being the man, and playing competitively with a comprehensive ruleset that evens the playing field for everybody, and allows skill and teamwork to be the focus.

TLDR, this is good.  I can't wait.

aDrunkBaconGod

• Helljumper Cosmic Avenger
  • Captain
  • Keep Calm and Reap On
    • aDrunkBaconGod
    • aDrunkBaconGod
  • Awards: 12
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »

Halo 5's beta rumoured to have 6-8 maps, doesn't use Master Chief Collection engine

Remember that January info blow-out? Right. And here's a little more from Frank O'Connor

http://www.totalxbox.com/78435/halo-5-beta-maps/

As the dust settles on E3 2014, I continue to be curious about the identity of NeoGAF user "ntkrnl", the architect of a spectacular series of rumours about the Xbox conference showing. To the best of my knowledge, he or she has yet to be proven wrong on any count. Furthermore, Kotaku claims that a contact has told it that ntkrnl works (or at least, has worked) for Microsoft.

Among other things, ntkrnl was first to the punch on Halo 5's beta, which will take place in December. I've just dug up the post in question, and there's a little more to say on the subject of the game's "huge" maps. There will be 6-8 in the beta, reportedly, including two "arena" maps and two that can be meddled with in Forge, the franchise's much-loved level editor. Given that most betas only ship with one or two maps, this seems a little too good to be true. But then again, so did all that talk of a PlatinumGames Xbox One exclusive in January. Fingers crossed.

Elsewhere on GAF, 343's franchise development director Frank O'Connor has weighed in on discussion of Halo 5's engine. It's not the same as the "native" Xbox One engine that's being used for six remastered maps in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, apparently.

O'Connor summarised the Collection's technical make-up as a "proprietary evolution of og engines, including aspects of h4 renderer", where "h4" stands for "Halo 4" and "og", Joe assures me, stands for "Original Gangsta". "Original" seems more plausible, Joe Said "proprietary evolution" isn't being used for Halo 5: Guardians, "which is obviously still being refined as the game gets closer". You'll have to wait till the beta for your first taste of that.

So does this mean that the live multiplayer footage of Halo: The Master Chief Collection we saw at E3 (the match that took place on an upgraded Halo 2 map) isn't representative of Halo 5's graphical prowess, another user asked? "Correct."

More interested in how the new Halo handles than what it looks like? Word on the street (well, Twitter) is that it won't have Armor Abilities. It may also be the last numbered Halo game.

FLiP DADDY 69

• Captain
  • Surviving the apocalypse since Nacht der Untoten
    • FLiP DADDY 69
    • FLiP DADDY 69
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »

Sweet. I'm excited to see what's in store. December can't come soon enough.

swifttime

• Lance Corporal
  • The swift talks in third person because he can!!!
    • SIP swifttime
    • SIP swifttime
  • Awards: 1
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »

I won't know which to play more, H2 or H3 when the chief collection comes out. Not as competitive now as I was in H3 because of no visible ranks, so I am looking forward to that.

theslatcher

• Private First Class
  • I only dream in black and white.
    • theslatcher
    • theslatcher
    • theslatcher
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »

No loadouts!
4v4 as normal TS.
Armors!
You can unlock some stuff from the beta that will carry over to the final game.
The midship remake looks so pretty.
7 maps in the beta.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:55:39 AM by theslatcher »

aDrunkBaconGod

• Helljumper Cosmic Avenger
  • Captain
  • Keep Calm and Reap On
    • aDrunkBaconGod
    • aDrunkBaconGod
  • Awards: 12
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »

Halo 5 beta details - classic 4v4 arena multiplayer returns to Xbox One

http://www.totalxbox.com/80277/halo-5-beta-details-classic-4v4-arena-multiplayer-returns-to-xbox-one/

Multiplayer Beta First Look
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:36:24 PM by Killagruntjaro »

TravisSch

• Lieutenant
  • Disney Fanatic
    • TravisSch
    • TravisSch
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »

Reminder: IGN is streaming HaloFest and will be streaming a full exhibition match with eSports pros on the Halo 5 multiplayer beta.  The stream is tonight at 11 PM ET (really late for people on the east coast).

Article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/08/ign-is-streaming-halo-fest-on-monday

theslatcher

• Private First Class
    • theslatcher
    • theslatcher
    • theslatcher
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2014, 01:48:25 AM »

So, gameplay was revealed today. So some notes from me;

1. The game is NOT an arena shooter, as it does not have equal starts.
2. The BR looks horrible, it looks... No. Just horrible.
3. Pretty fast paced.
4. The maps feel 'stretched'.
5. Iron Sights! On Every weapon! No hip fire, though. The lore's butt wants 343i to stop molesting it. (The weapons got a link of some sorts to the HUD, which equals the zoom in the current games)
6. Spartan Abilities are pretty laughable, I think if you only had thruster pack, then I would have no problem with it, but all other Abilities are lel.
7. There's now a medal for getting a kill... Yeah...
8. Nathan Fillion(?)'s voice is annoying. Why you ask? On top of getting Steitzer going "DOUBLE KILL", etc. Fillion will say stuff like "Hard fought kill", which is just cringe-worthy. And I'm a browncoat.

I think I'll think of this more like a spin-off/reboot of the Halo series than a new entry, nearly everything has changed from that classic "HaloFeel", but I think that if I treat it as a reboot-kind-of-thing, I might enjoy it. Well, minus that there is no equal starts. That they advertised equal starts and then don't have it, well, that's false advertising and they could get sued for that in Sweden, even this early on.

Side note; some might say "this is beta, things are going to change", but remember that the only thing between beta and release is mostly design tweaks, bug-fixing and stuff like that. So no major "this is going away", etc. Will happen during the beta and launch.

TravisSch

• Lieutenant
  • Disney Fanatic
    • TravisSch
    • TravisSch
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 04:42:35 AM »

Here are a collection of Halo 5 beta videos collected by HaloIntel:
http://halointel.com/2014/11/11/collection-of-halo-5-guardians-beta-gameplay-videos/

It is way too early for me to pass judgement, especially on a beta.  My initial thoughts are that the gun sounds are great.  I actually like the new sounds.  Also, I noticed a lot of the weapon designs were from Halo 4 like the Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle, but I am going to guess these are just placeholder for right now.  I remember when 343 showed off Halo Anniversary they used the Reach shotgun design in one of the early builds. 

I like what I'm seeing so far.  I can't wait for the day after Christmas next month to start downloading and playing. :)

NeoRman69

• Commander
  • The Legend Himself
    • NeoRman69
    • NeoRman69
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 9
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 07:19:10 AM »

Looking good so far. I like that they're shaking things up, innovating, and there is always the MCC for old school halo. Can't really say until I get my hands on it though.

theslatcher

• Private First Class
    • theslatcher
    • theslatcher
    • theslatcher
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 12:44:34 PM »

Here are a collection of Halo 5 beta videos collected by HaloIntel:
http://halointel.com/2014/11/11/collection-of-halo-5-guardians-beta-gameplay-videos/

It is way too early for me to pass judgement, especially on a beta.  My initial thoughts are that the gun sounds are great.  I actually like the new sounds.  Also, I noticed a lot of the weapon designs were from Halo 4 like the Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle, but I am going to guess these are just placeholder for right now.  I remember when 343 showed off Halo Anniversary they used the Reach shotgun design in one of the early builds. 

I like what I'm seeing so far.  I can't wait for the day after Christmas next month to start downloading and playing. :)
If the beta is a real beta, then the weapons are not placeholder, the graphics could get a little tweaked, but that's it... If it's a real beta and not a "let's say this is a beta when it's not!", that is.

Seth

• Colonel
  • Spamwise Gamgee
    • Sethinator23
    • Sethinator23
    • SefferTheHeifer
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »

Seeing how early the beta is, it looks like they really are interested in implementing drastic balances before launch. There's a lot of time between beta and launch to look at the beta and how people respond to it. I'm not saying they'll remove the new abilities or anything, but some very critical rebalances and control tweaks could take place in the time frame of 9 months (give or take depending on release date).

As for the changes, I'm okay with most of it. Some of it seems odd but I really won't know until I play. Things that stick out most as questionable to me are ground pound and clamber. Ground pound looks to serve as annoying. I like the simplicity of Halo melee combat, I'm not so sure this is a necessary addition to the sandbox. If you are above, that should give you enough tactical height when it comes to a gun battle. Not really looking forward to height advantage boiling down to ground pounds.

As for clamber, I feel it removes some of the skill of trick jumps. I assume if you can't clamber, a crouch jump won't help the result. There's also the annoyance of accidentally clambering over things, getting pulled into animation, when you don't want to. Halo is a game that is very jump/strafe heavy. I can see some annoying clamber moments. Hopefully that can be fixed by simply requiring the jump button to be held down to clamber.

Also, I assume the "enhanced melee" from sprinting acts as a lunge? I'm okay with that as long as it isn't an increased damage melee.

As a side note, I hate the default control scheme. Please don't let me down bumper jumper!

@slatcher
Do you have a source on starts being uneven? Is it just your primary start that's uneven? If so, I'm cool with that. I always hated playing Halo 3 and getting AR starts voted over BR starts. I always wished I had the ability to choose which of the main start weapons I could spawn with, without it boiling down to a loadout system.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:51:28 PM by Seth »
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Next

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 25 queries.