• August 21, 2017, 02:28:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Home of Task Force 121.

Welcome to SIP!

Thank you for visiting The Spartan I Project! We want to welcome you to our group and invite you to join our friendly community.

You will need to register before participating on our community forum. This process is free, simple, and only requires a minimal amount of information. Once you do, you will be able to:

• Post in discussion threads and create new topics
  • Request help from our experienced achievement teams
  • Play games with other community members and make new friends
  • And more!
To learn more about what SIP is about and what we have to offer, click here. To register an account and post on our forums, click here.

Pages: [1] 2 Next

Author Topic: can i rant here for a sec  (Read 577 times)

memvar

• Private First Class
    • MEMVAR
can i rant here for a sec
« on: November 12, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »

ok im using all caps to fully express my rage/disappointment: SO I HAVE BEEN OUT OF THE HALO GAME FOR QUITE A WHILE EITHER DUE TO NO INTERNET OR NO XBOX GOLD OR NOT HAVING THE NEWEST GAME/CONSOLE.....BUT NOW I HAVE THE XBONE AND HALO 5 AND IM A LITTLE MORE THAN MIFFED! story was alright just a little short BUT THE MULTIPLAYER HAS GONE TO $#*! NOW I HAVENT PLAYED ANY MULTIPLAYER FOR A SOLID MINUTE BUT STILL AFTER PLAYING THE STORY 3 TIMES I FIGURED I COULD TAKE IT ON SOME WHAT WELL! OH HOW I WAS WRONG! THE MULTIPLAYER FEELS LIKE ITS ALL OVER THE PLACE AND ITS JUST A COD GAME WITH A HALO SKIN!

tl;dr i feel like halo 5 multiplayer is a crap COD game with a halo skin. but i could just be rusty as $#*!

zaffy2005

• Corporal
    • zaffy2005
    • zaffy2005
    • Bungie.net Profile
Re: can i rant here for a sec
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »

It's not just you. I don't even play CoD and I've been sorely disappointed with the feel of Halo lately. I really feel like 343 has been dropping the ball left and right since being handed the reins of this once great franchise. And this ridiculous Yo-Gi-Oh multiplayer "Req Card" system is just....no. Just no. Give us back REAL loadout options, give us back REAL customization options, give us back HALO. Bungie left 343 with a great formula in Halo Reach, and for what it's worth Halo 4 did try to run with the expanded player customization at least, the armor was just dog's arse ugly. Halo 5 went back to Halo 2 in every way except delivering a memorable experience. Disjointed "story," crappy two-part "customization" (I don't care how many visor color options there are, I want more than just "pick a head, pick a body, STOP! That's all you get), and an overall worse feel to, well, everything compared to the previous title. Halo CE magnum? Great. Halo 2 "magnum?" Glorified cap gun. Halo 5, for me at least, was just so completely disappointing all around.

R MK XXV

• Spartan
    • R MK XXV
    • R MK XXV
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »

It's not just you. I don't even play CoD and I've been sorely disappointed with the feel of Halo lately. I really feel like 343 has been dropping the ball left and right since being handed the reins of this once great franchise. And this ridiculous Yo-Gi-Oh multiplayer "Req Card" system is just....no. Just no. Give us back REAL loadout options, give us back REAL customization options, give us back HALO. Bungie left 343 with a great formula in Halo Reach, and for what it's worth Halo 4 did try to run with the expanded player customization at least, the armor was just dog's arse ugly. Halo 5 went back to Halo 2 in every way except delivering a memorable experience. Disjointed "story," crappy two-part "customization" (I don't care how many visor color options there are, I want more than just "pick a head, pick a body, STOP! That's all you get), and an overall worse feel to, well, everything compared to the previous title. Halo CE magnum? Great. Halo 2 "magnum?" Glorified cap gun. Halo 5, for me at least, was just so completely disappointing all around.

Completely agree.  Halo 5 was a huge disappointment for me.  343 really went in the wrong direction with the series.

HellRazor1281

• Captain
  • Headshots and Hugs for everyone!
    • HellRazor1281
    • HellRazor1281
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 9
    • My band - Year of the Locust
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »

tl;dr i feel like halo 4 multiplayer is a crap COD game with a halo skin. but i could just be rusty as $#*!

fixed that for you.  TL;DR, I think you are just feeling rust, and need to return to H2 and 3 to relate more to how H5 plays.

DISCLAIMER: Incoming wall of text.  I've been a highly competitive focused Halo player since H3, and a fan of the Halo franchise and mythos since my discovery in Halo 2.  My opinions will be biased, take from them what you will. 

First off, I will agree that 343 is all over the map with their direction.  Putting the Story aside for most of this rant, Seriously guys, have you not witnessed the abortion that was H4 multiplayer?  The gameplay was horrendous, the map design was beyond flawed, the ORDNANCE DROPS were sometimes fruitful, mostly crap, all of the time map-breaking and UNNECESSARY because it usually rendered the basic map weapon layouts useless, the loadout system that I HATED from Reach was back with a vengeance along with the god awful (aside from Thruster pack) armor abilities.  These were all elements from other completely different style FPS games that Bungie and later 343 tried to crowbar into an ARENA style shooter when it came to multiplayer. 

You can't take a game that was an arena style shooter (everyone on equal footing with starting weapons, using the map to your advantage to grab power positions/power weapons/better weapons than what you start with to create map movement, flow and conflict across various choke points) and add all of those non-arena style elements and expect it NOT to suck. 

Halo 5 gameplay wise IMO is far superior to 4.  The gameplay flowed better, they eliminated the AA aspect of the game and condensed it to abilities all Spartans naturally should have, which has been my argument against AAs since Reach came out, if you're going to add abilities that make you feel superhuman, they need to be natural evolutions of the human physique - sprint, the ability to clamber, thrust to charge or dodge, ground pound being the most 'ridiculous' but also the easiest to counter if you know what you're doing. 

Arena brings Halo back to it's damn ROOTS in CE and 2: no more loadouts, everyone starts with the same weapons, the magnum is back to being the utility weapon of Halo, and if you are good with it, upgrading to the BR or DMR will make you a god, the AR actually does its job in it's effective range, the sandbox, while repetitive, is still carefully balanced, and the map weapon layouts a) make sense, and b) force you to move around the map the way Halo was originally intended for you to do.  There are gripes with how sparse some of the maps are designed, but see 'get good with the Magnum' for answers to that question. 

I do agree the REQ system and adding an RNG element to the game is just a huge letdown for me because I really hoped that it would never take that mobile gaming aspect into the game the way it has for other franchises, but it makes a boatload of dough for the game company, and therefore is now a necessary evil, and the direction gaming in general is going (with few exceptions).  HOWEVER, you don't need to spend a dime to unlock 99% of what's available.  60% of it is purely cosmetic, which someone like me who doesn't have a ton of time to game and just wants to get right into the action, all of the armor customization options in Reach and 4 left me wasting a ton of time.  Especially when IMO 90% of all the options were ugly as sin.  Furthermore, all of the non-cosmetic save for the Arena boosts are localized for use in one gametype, Warzone, which is not meant to be a highly competitive playlist, and is fun to play because of its large scale (unless you run into a farming team, in which case you're just -blam!-ed), and the revival of Firefight is huge for all of us who have played ODST and Reach. 

Gameplay wise, 343 is moving in the right direction.  Story wise, notsomuch.  They basically flip-flopped their focus on the two different aspects of the game between 4 and 5.  They focused too much on story in 4 (which I thought was really entertaining ASIDE from no actual Didact boss fight) and they gave us an ABORTION in a story for H5, something I will rant on later.  Suffice to say for now, that if 343 kept the gameplay the way it is now, and actually retained their good writers and didn't try to do too much with the story (or make it yet ANOTHER AI v. Mankind story that has been done to death) H6 will be a very good game.

Apologies for the WoT.

zaffy2005

• Corporal
    • zaffy2005
    • zaffy2005
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:04:21 AM »

Hmm, you do make some good points, Razor. I do enjoy the "intrinsic abilities" and have at times found myself wishing Destiny had a "clamor" feature, especially in Raids. I guess, for me at least, I got "spoiled" with Reach and Halo 4, because I actually LIKE custom loadouts. I absolutely abhor automatic weapons in pretty much each and every FPS I have ever played (except dual-wielding RCP-90s in classic Goldeneye 64. That was fun). I like precision weapons, I like the long-ish range game. It's why I main Scout Rifles with a side of Hand Cannons in Destiny and always made sure I had a DMR whenever I could in Halo Reach and 4 (and why I cussed out every req pack for not unlocking the DMR or even a decent BR option in Halo 5). By the time you reach a range in which the Halo ARs were in any way effective you might as well throw it on the ground and start boxing, because that's what  it's going to come down to anyway. A melee brawl. It's a pea-shooting bullet hose that I've only found use for in dispatching Flood infection forms. The only thing worse than the AR is the Suppressor.

For me, Halo itself is good for only two things: story, and "home games." I despise the grungy, sweaty, spawn-camping, try-hard 10 year old tards of matchmaking. If I wanted to be cussed out by pint-sized prepubescents who think the ability to string together 17 conjugations of the F word in one sentence makes them demi-gods, I'd go to the local project housing and claim to be everyone's baby-daddy.

In that sense, Halo 5 absolutely blew it. The story was just...meh. The utter lack of split-screen multiplayer makes it completely useless for home games. I hate that we can't just set up one console with 4 controllers and have some good old fashioned fun. No, everyone has to shell out a few hundred dollars on their own console, a few hundred more on an HD TV, and shell out even more on ethernet cables to link them all to the router (and/or juggle around all the other devices currently hooked to the router). Oh, and then you need headsets for everyone unless you can pack all four rigs into one room (which would be pretty well impossible in my house). It's....well it's really quite heartbreaking because from what I can gather Halo 5 actually has a very robust and intricate Forge Mode but I haven't bothered "wasting" any time with it because I'll never get to use any maps I create.

And creating is what I like doing. I can very easily be sold on a game just by the customization options (why I've enjoyed most of the WWE games for the last several years despite being rather repetitive or downright worthless in terms of actual gameplay). Halo 5 was an absolute disgrace in that regard. Halo 4 excelled at that, it just needed armor actually worth using (so much ugliness).

But I get where you'er coming from. Halo 5 does harken more towards the "olden days." Which is a bit of a double-edged sword. ON the one side, it pleases the "purists" and those missing the "classic" feel, but on the other side it feels like regression, not progress, to lose features and options that, to others, marked a step forward in the more recent games and now feels like a massive step back, and leaves that camp thinking "what's the purpose of that?" Much like an HDMI cable on the NES classic. 4k clarity, 8-bit graphics. Halo 5 kind of feels like they put all their effort and resources solely into graphics, trying to "be the next gen before there is a next gen" while entirely under-delivering on the actual experience and feel of the game.

HellRazor1281

• Captain
    • HellRazor1281
    • HellRazor1281
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »

Zaffy, thanks for reminding me about the no splitscreen.  There are so many people who are beyond pissed about this, just as Mortal Kombat fans are pissed there's no more 4-player Vs mode in MKX.  Two really fun party and LAN-party gaming staples that are no doubt pushed by Microsoft and Sony to eliminate from games in order to drive console sales and online subscriptions.  This really is a HUGE problem that H5 has, and IMO is second only to how crappy the story was.  That's why in my final paragraph I said if they kept most of the gameplay from 5 and actually built on the story set up in 4 WITHOUT going massively cliche like they did in H5, 6 can be a great Halo game.  Bringing back system link and splitscreen are just as important though.  I'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole loadouts thing but I understand why you like it.  I also cannot argue with your dealing with ppl on matchmaking, although the majority of games these days (really since H4) I've played where I wasn't myself in a party, it's been pretty quiet with the occasional squeaker who has no idea what he's doing. 

I need to get back into Halo 5.  Once I get the Raid ship in Destiny and finish FFXV I will be focusing mostly on Gears and Halo.

kungfuboy007

• Lance Corporal
  • Welp here I am
    • kungfuboy007
    • Barzul Knular
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »

Zaffy, thanks for reminding me about the no splitscreen.  There are so many people who are beyond pissed about this, just as Mortal Kombat fans are pissed there's no more 4-player Vs mode in MKX.  Two really fun party and LAN-party gaming staples that are no doubt pushed by Microsoft and Sony to eliminate from games in order to drive console sales and online subscriptions.  This really is a HUGE problem that H5 has, and IMO is second only to how crappy the story was.  That's why in my final paragraph I said if they kept most of the gameplay from 5 and actually built on the story set up in 4 WITHOUT going massively cliche like they did in H5, 6 can be a great Halo game.  Bringing back system link and splitscreen are just as important though.  I'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole loadouts thing but I understand why you like it.  I also cannot argue with your dealing with ppl on matchmaking, although the majority of games these days (really since H4) I've played where I wasn't myself in a party, it's been pretty quiet with the occasional squeaker who has no idea what he's doing. 

I need to get back into Halo 5.  Once I get the Raid ship in Destiny and finish FFXV I will be focusing mostly on Gears and Halo.

There is no finishing FFXV-

And yeah, there are some pretty important points made by all of you guys, like split screen multiplayer and the hell that is REQ packs. Like I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've opened a LOT of silver and gold packs for my level because of the ways I figured out how to farm REQ points, yet I still haven't gotten a DMR unlocked yet. This honestly disappoints me with the RNG style of obtaining weapons, and multiple variants of those weapons. It almost reminds me, of well, Infinite Warfare. I appreciate 343 for bringing back Firefight, which I played with my dad a lot, but now we need separate consoles to play together, which kinda ruins the moments I had with the game mode.

But then again, back when I still had Halo 5 installed, I usually played SWAT at rank ONYX, so I didn't have much purpose with the game until Forge released and you can join public lobbies now. I'm considering redownloading Halo 5 again just for Forge lobbies-

HellRazor1281

• Captain
    • HellRazor1281
    • HellRazor1281
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »

you're not going to find DMRs out of Silver packs, save for the basic one.  Every other DMR variant if I'm not mistaken, is unlocked via Gold Packs.  If y'all don't know already, the most efficient use of your REQ points if you're looking to unlock everything, is to run Silver packs exclusively until you don't get any more unlocks (they'll be replaced with 1500 REQ point cards once you've unlocked all the stuff that the Silver packs can give you) and then upgrade to gold packs exclusively, so you get to unlock all the really good stuff.  And while it is indeed RNG, it's not nearly as bad as you think.  You'll cover 80% of the emblems, armor and weapons from Silver packs and the rest falls into place pretty quickly when you start cranking out gold packs.  It's actually way easier for me to run boosts in whichever playlist is running as featured for max XP and RP output, pop a boost, get to work, rake in the points, and open packs.  It's far quicker than running XP and unlocks in, say, Titanfall or Gears 4 where the Cr payout is paltry by comparison.  (and don't get me started on the fact you can receive duplicate characters and skins in G4 - that really pisses me off)

Dark Infinity

• Suicide Grunt
  • Captain
  • ~Frag Out
    • Dark Infinity 1
    • Dark Infinity 1
  • Awards: 10
    • Dark Infinity Studios
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »

I don't play enough to worry about unlocking everything, and I don't have an XB1 yet, are these just skins you are unlocking or are they actually the use of specific weapons unlocking (COD style)?

NeoRman69

• Commander
  • The Legend Himself
    • NeoRman69
    • NeoRman69
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

There are skins, helmets, armors. But in Warzone there is also loadout weapons as well as one time use power weapons, vehicles, power ups (overshields)

MathGuy42

• Captain
  • Frog blast the vent core!
    • MathGuy42
  • Awards: 7
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »

you're not going to find DMRs out of Silver packs, save for the basic one.  Every other DMR variant if I'm not mistaken, is unlocked via Gold Packs.
Many of the DMR's are Rare, so can be unlocked in Silver Packs. But it feels like some Rares are more "Rare." I'm only about 14 Silver Packs away from finishing all Common to Rare, yet I'm still missing 4 Rare DMRs.

(Actually, Mongooses can only be unlocked in Bronze packs, so I'm missing 5 of them. Yet have ever other Common to Rare Power Weapon and Vehicle cert. Ha ha.)

Dark Infinity

• Suicide Grunt
  • Captain
  • ~Frag Out
    • Dark Infinity 1
    • Dark Infinity 1
    • Dark Infinity Studios
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »

But in Warzone there is also loadout weapons as well as one time use power weapons, vehicles, power ups (overshields)
... Well I know what I'm not playing whenever I do upgrade to XB1 and Halo5... I usually just play swat or snipers anyway.

I don't care about the skins, but having starting weapons and bonuses that other people can't start with is one of the big turnoffs I had from COD...

Stig Assassin

• Commander
  • Do you even drift?
    • Stig Assassin
    • Stig Assassin
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 23
    • The Quest For 52
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »

I don't care about the skins, but having starting weapons and bonuses that other people can't start with is one of the big turnoffs I had from COD...

It's not that bad. Everyone pretty much starts off on an even playing field, unless you have a rare weapon that gives the AR a scope, for example. It still has the same shooting distance as everyone else. As time goes on you get access to higher tiers which lets you use better cards. Maybe this video will help explain it better.

NeoRman69

• Commander
  • The Legend Himself
    • NeoRman69
    • NeoRman69
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »

Arena and Social have set weapon loadouts so it's all fair in there. And even warzone has firefight mode which is co-op only. You don have to play the other stuff if you don't want to.

Dark Infinity

• Suicide Grunt
  • Captain
  • ~Frag Out
    • Dark Infinity 1
    • Dark Infinity 1
    • Dark Infinity Studios
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 06:21:31 PM »

Maybe this video will help explain it better.
Meh... I'll have to wait till I can try it out. But doesn't sound good to me so far.
Pages: [1] 2 Next

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.