• June 26, 2017, 02:57:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Cookies incoming!

Welcome to SIP!

Thank you for visiting The Spartan I Project! We want to welcome you to our group and invite you to join our friendly community.

You will need to register before participating on our community forum. This process is free, simple, and only requires a minimal amount of information. Once you do, you will be able to:

• Post in discussion threads and create new topics
  • Request help from our experienced achievement teams
  • Play games with other community members and make new friends
  • And more!
To learn more about what SIP is about and what we have to offer, click here. To register an account and post on our forums, click here.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]

Author Topic: can i rant here for a sec  (Read 454 times)

zaffy2005

• Corporal
    • zaffy2005
    • zaffy2005
    • Bungie.net Profile
Re: can i rant here for a sec
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 01:34:50 AM »

I guess my biggest rant about the "permanent unlocks" is the certifications. I don't CARE about being "certified" to receive more urban mongeese, or the 7 dozen plasma pistols I've thrown away already. Honestly I don't care about weapon skins or emblems either (I've got my howling wolf I've used since the beginning, that's all I need).

Although, to be honest, I'm only half-enthused by unlocking armor at this point because of Halo 5's rather dismal excuse for armor customization options. I miss being able to mix and match pieces from different sets. I cannot put into words how much it sucked to finally pick up the Master Chief Collection, thus FINALLY have access to the Deadeye helmet...only to learn that I had to wear full Recruit armor in order to use it because MCC's armor "customization" is even more restrictive.

All in all there are many reasons why I have more or less given up on Halo 5. I still have Taken King quests in Destiny (haven't even completed the King's Fall raid yet), there's the MCC "full campaign" to go through, and I recently picked up Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited so if I have plenty of other options. Well, that and being booted from the Spartan Company for inactivity. Not much point in it now, even for a "completionist/collector." RNG is the death-knell of what would otherwise be decent games (it's certainly an unholy pain in the arse in Destiny, but even more so in Halo 5).

HellRazor1281

• Captain
  • Headshots and Hugs for everyone!
    • HellRazor1281
    • HellRazor1281
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 9
    • My band - Year of the Locust
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »

fair enough.  If you ever get back into H5 and want back in the Company let myself, Neo or Arby know.  We got together Friday night for CGN and the few of us who showed up had a lot of fun running various playlists and customs.  Halo is still way more fun to me playing PVP than Destiny, although Destiny's PVP is fun in its own right and is a decent game despite the RNG of it (probably because it doesn't require you to make microstransactions).  I can't bring myself to run Gears PVP, it's just too much high stress for me.

zaffy2005

• Corporal
    • zaffy2005
    • zaffy2005
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »

I've never been much of a PvP player outside of Infection or home games, and even those are usually "gimmick" games, like All Rockets, demolition derby, or "Bouncy House." That so much of Destiny's gear is locked behind PvP requirements has never sat well with me. And for Halo 5, well compared to Destiny I do prefer the "standardization" of it, in that an AR is an AR, period, I don't have to worry about coming up against some jacked up minigun that can bounce bullets off walls and around corners while the exact same "model" I have in my hands only grants enhanced radar and a larger magazine. But then, the req cards throw a wrench into the works in their own way.

But, skipping out on PvP, that only leaves Firefight, which was an awesome game mode in Reach, the "spin-of" Spartan Ops in Halo 4 was fun, but Halo 5? Well, let's just say if you come across Destiny players complaining about there not being matchmaking for Raids, show them Firefight. Jumping into a game with 7 strangers who don't communicate, don't coordinate, and either charge in repeatedly and spend the majority of the match staring at the respawn screen, or bunker down in some corner on the opposite side of the map as the objective because they don't want to die. So I think I'm averaging 1 for 10 as far as completing a match, which isn't fun.

HellRazor1281

• Captain
  • Headshots and Hugs for everyone!
    • HellRazor1281
    • HellRazor1281
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 9
    • My band - Year of the Locust
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 12:10:44 PM »

Honestly, that's where LFG comes in.  At the very least among those of us who have Destiny, few people are playing it currently.  Two reasons:  Fatigue (3rd year in a game that offers lots of fun content, but very little in the way of story with regards to an actual cohesive progression, and a ton of BS in PVP, tho IMO not as much as in COD) and most of us have everything unlocked, all raid gear, light 400 on everything, every exotic unlocked, and the raid ship (I'm in the same boat for the most part with exception of the ship) so there's little incentive to stick around.  A bunch of us are still on the raid achievement teams so we will definitely help anyone who asks for it, but at this point, posting on LFG or responding to posts on LFG is honestly the best way to get onto a Raid team that isn't going to do what you described happens in Firefight on H5 (to which I definitely feel your pain, it sucks not completing the whole thing, but if you make it to the final round, which even as a group we've failed at from time to time, you're still gonna have a good XP/RP payout.)

You do have a slight point on some of the gear in Destiny being locked behind PVP play (especially for ToO), but for one thing, it doesn't require you to do well, quite the contrary, if you tank matches you have a better chance of getting good gear drops from it although it's strictly RNG based, and second and more importantly, with exception to the cosmetics surrounding the Trials of Osiris armor pieces, and the ornaments that go along with that, you can find a counterpart for each weapon that's offered (I haven't run Trials yet in year 3 so I cannot speak to those weapons) - from IB, the Clever Dragon is by far the best weapon to come out of there, but you can get the same perk rolls from the Grasp of Malok.  The handcannon is kinda crap, Imago Loop is way better, and even better than that is the Palindrome, especially the Vanguard vendor roll.  IB sniper rifle pales in comparison to its But Not Forgotten counterpart that you can pull from the Archon's Forge.  Also in the Forge is one of the best Fusion Rifles in the game, Saladin's Vigil.  IB shotgun is garbage, it's still all about the Party Crasher, Matador or the Dead Orbit shotgun.  I could go on, but I'm hoping these are enough examples for you to get the point, which is, you can get god rolls on any of the weapons I mentioned from running strikes, Zavala bounties and faction packages, and then take them into PVP and melt face. 

I will say, the story in Spartan Ops was great, what was its downfall was the repetitive gameplay and gross reuse of the same locations and areas you go through in the game itself.  No season two story wise was a disappointment but it did so poorly that they couldn't financially justify it.  And then they completely retcon the whole damn thing by -blam!-ing out Jul M'Dama in the first goddamn mission of H5.  So stupid.

Dark Infinity

• Suicide Grunt
  • Captain
  • ~Frag Out
    • Dark Infinity 1
    • Dark Infinity 1
  • Awards: 10
    • Dark Infinity Studios
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 02:18:38 PM »

I can't bring myself to run Gears PVP, it's just too much high stress for me.

Ha ha... Gears PVP is a love/hate relationship. Some days the shotgun works, some days it shoots rubber pellets. At least in the past that is how it was. Did they make any improvements in 4?

zaffy2005

• Corporal
    • zaffy2005
    • zaffy2005
    • Bungie.net Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 11:22:20 PM »

I get what you're saying as far as comparable offerings, but as both a "collector" and a "customizer" the aesthetics and variety is important to me. I know that even with all three characters,  the full vault, and the kiosks there's no way I could possibly hold one of everything, but still, I'd like to be able to get one of everything I like the look of, and at least be able to try out the other stuff. And I've noticed from youtube videos that even though non Trials weapons might have similar stats, the aesthetics extend beyond just the color of the guns. The reticles/scopes are different as well, just as the current IB weapons have unique scopes (sort of a chain-link look around the edges on most I've seen). It's a subtle difference, but one never knows how that difference can affect the individual's gameplay. A certain scope aesthetic might prove easier on the eyes, or more conducive to snapping off headshots. And, at least in Year One, you DID have to do well in Trials or Skolas if you wanted an elemental primary that wasn't from the Raid (which had limited offerings, particularly as both pulse rifles were arc for some reason). I desperately wanted a Void scout rifle but only managed to get a void Six Dreg Pride from one of the rare times I was able to run Skolas. Granted I've only attempted one or two "cards," have had maybe one victory that wasn't "purchased, but all I've ever received from Trials was a pair of boots. But, that's Destiny.

After the far more "immersive" experience of Reach (which was a huge selling point for me and something that brought me a great deal of enjoyment) Halo 4's Spartan Ops was...well, not a "complete" delivery but it was something at least. Halo 5 at least gives a little bit of a pre-match cutscene to let us see ourselves but again suffers the misfortune of Halo 5's abysmal custom options. That's one I keep coming back to because, "unimportant" as it is to actual gameplay, if I don't feel "immersed" in the game to some degree, I don't enjoy it as much.

memvar

• Private First Class
    • MEMVAR
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 11:24:29 PM »

tl;dr i feel like halo 4 multiplayer is a crap COD game with a halo skin. but i could just be rusty as $#*!

fixed that for you.  TL;DR, I think you are just feeling rust, and need to return to H2 and 3 to relate more to how H5 plays.

DISCLAIMER: Incoming wall of text.  I've been a highly competitive focused Halo player since H3, and a fan of the Halo franchise and mythos since my discovery in Halo 2.  My opinions will be biased, take from them what you will. 

First off, I will agree that 343 is all over the map with their direction.  Putting the Story aside for most of this rant, Seriously guys, have you not witnessed the abortion that was H4 multiplayer?  The gameplay was horrendous, the map design was beyond flawed, the ORDNANCE DROPS were sometimes fruitful, mostly crap, all of the time map-breaking and UNNECESSARY because it usually rendered the basic map weapon layouts useless, the loadout system that I HATED from Reach was back with a vengeance along with the god awful (aside from Thruster pack) armor abilities.  These were all elements from other completely different style FPS games that Bungie and later 343 tried to crowbar into an ARENA style shooter when it came to multiplayer. 

You can't take a game that was an arena style shooter (everyone on equal footing with starting weapons, using the map to your advantage to grab power positions/power weapons/better weapons than what you start with to create map movement, flow and conflict across various choke points) and add all of those non-arena style elements and expect it NOT to suck. 

Halo 5 gameplay wise IMO is far superior to 4.  The gameplay flowed better, they eliminated the AA aspect of the game and condensed it to abilities all Spartans naturally should have, which has been my argument against AAs since Reach came out, if you're going to add abilities that make you feel superhuman, they need to be natural evolutions of the human physique - sprint, the ability to clamber, thrust to charge or dodge, ground pound being the most 'ridiculous' but also the easiest to counter if you know what you're doing. 

Arena brings Halo back to it's damn ROOTS in CE and 2: no more loadouts, everyone starts with the same weapons, the magnum is back to being the utility weapon of Halo, and if you are good with it, upgrading to the BR or DMR will make you a god, the AR actually does its job in it's effective range, the sandbox, while repetitive, is still carefully balanced, and the map weapon layouts a) make sense, and b) force you to move around the map the way Halo was originally intended for you to do.  There are gripes with how sparse some of the maps are designed, but see 'get good with the Magnum' for answers to that question. 

I do agree the REQ system and adding an RNG element to the game is just a huge letdown for me because I really hoped that it would never take that mobile gaming aspect into the game the way it has for other franchises, but it makes a boatload of dough for the game company, and therefore is now a necessary evil, and the direction gaming in general is going (with few exceptions).  HOWEVER, you don't need to spend a dime to unlock 99% of what's available.  60% of it is purely cosmetic, which someone like me who doesn't have a ton of time to game and just wants to get right into the action, all of the armor customization options in Reach and 4 left me wasting a ton of time.  Especially when IMO 90% of all the options were ugly as sin.  Furthermore, all of the non-cosmetic save for the Arena boosts are localized for use in one gametype, Warzone, which is not meant to be a highly competitive playlist, and is fun to play because of its large scale (unless you run into a farming team, in which case you're just -blam!-ed), and the revival of Firefight is huge for all of us who have played ODST and Reach. 

Gameplay wise, 343 is moving in the right direction.  Story wise, notsomuch.  They basically flip-flopped their focus on the two different aspects of the game between 4 and 5.  They focused too much on story in 4 (which I thought was really entertaining ASIDE from no actual Didact boss fight) and they gave us an ABORTION in a story for H5, something I will rant on later.  Suffice to say for now, that if 343 kept the gameplay the way it is now, and actually retained their good writers and didn't try to do too much with the story (or make it yet ANOTHER AI v. Mankind story that has been done to death) H6 will be a very good game.

Apologies for the WoT.

As a member of one of the greatest online groups i have ever been apart of i will try to contain my initial rage of reading this.
First off F*&^ you for "fixing" my opinion! All you had to do was say "hey i think youre wrong and heres why"
Secondly i shouldnt have to replay an older game to be able to jump into a new one, what you said there confirms that the H.5 team did a bad job of progressing gameplay
Third while I may not approve of anyones "competitive style" of playing multiplayer games. YOU DO YOU! i truly believe games should be played for enjoyment not to be the best like no one ever was
Fourth youre kinda right Halo 4 wasnt perfect but it is FAAAAAAAR superior to the abortion that Halo 5 gameplay is. From the first Halo all the way to Halo 4 and all the games in between it was a set standard type of gameplay, with ease of play ability spanning the 'verse! Halo 5 took COD game play and let the cat spit it up on the rug and said "hell they will play it, also lets charge them for weapons!"
Most of what you are trying to argue is about "gameplay" but youre just describing the game styles that were available and not mandatory to play. i agree that a game style that lets you play a classic Halo feel is amazing but the gameplay still isnt there. its like playing the new Doom with nothing but old graphics, you just wont get the same result or experience

AND HOW THE F*&^ IS THERE TOO MUCH STORY?! if the story is good theres no such thing as too much, and ya it depends on a lot of variables to make it a good story but.........the MAIN STORY MUST BE THE MAIN FOCUS OF THE GAME! multiplayer can always be added later. wasnt it Goldeneye that the multiplayer was added a month before final production? and look how awesome that turned out!!

sorry i got a little heated and you did say you were biased so i guess i am too, i just didnt like the ease of play with the new Halo is all im really saying

SpecOp3

• XOF Breaker
  • Captain
  • "So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
    • SpecOp3
    • SpecOp3
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 14
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »

kungfuboy007

• Lance Corporal
  • Welp here I am
    • kungfuboy007
    • Barzul Knular
    • Bungie.net Profile
  • Awards: 2
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2017, 04:59:39 PM »

Pages: Prev 1 [2]

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 25 queries.