Project Spark, the free-to-play game where you can create and play anything has received an update today, and at the forefront of the update is the replacement of the free-to-play model with a totally free platform.
The update for Project Spark is a big game changer. Now, the entirety off the game is free to all users. All downloadable content previously required the use of in-game microtransactions to unlock most new content, although all content was unlockable using in-game currency that required no money to be spent, however this would take much longer than buying Tokens for a quicker way to unlock the content. The DLC is unlocked to all users in the latest update, meaning you can build everything you can possibly want to build.
This update, however, is the game’s final DLC and no future content will be added by Team Dakota. This means that all future content for Project Spark will consist entirely of User Generated Content.
For all those who purchased any downloadable content, or the retail disc and used the product registration key after July 28, 2015 will be refunded Microsoft account credit. Any Tokens that remained in your account balance will be converted into Microsoft credit as well.
Aside from the removal of microtransactions, the latest update also provides many improvements to the game. Theses include, but are not limited to:
- The maximum terrain limit in creations has been further doubled
- The maximum prop limit in creations has been increased by 500
- 200+ new assets will be added in game, including a dragon, goblin warlord, bog biome and a set of new primitive building blocks
- Each creator will now have a total of 100 Upload Slots for their creations
- UGC ranking will be based on downloads and favorites, instead of upvote/downvote ratings
- The Project Spark Marketplace has been removed
- The Project Spark Tour and Treasure Trove have been removed
- Achievements have been revamped for players and creators